An absolutely delicious and healthy gluten eggplant vegetarian meal that is easy to make, with Daiya © brand dairy-free mozzarella style shreds.
Healthy Eggplant Parmigiana
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. (or to taste) Italian seasoning (or combination of garlic, oregano, basil)
- Olive oil
- 25 oz jar pasta sauce
- 4 oz. Daiya © Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Peel eggplant and slice in ¼” slices.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add Italian seasoning to breadcrumbs in a bowl big enough to lay eggplant slices.
- Dunk each slice of eggplant into eggs, coating both sides.
- Dredge eggplant slice in breadcrumbs, coating both sides.
- Place on platter while finishing other slices.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan. Use only enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Place coated eggplant slices in pan and fry until lightly browned (about 2 minutes per side).
- (If needed, drain cooked slices on paper towel to remove excess oil.)
- Place slices in a single layer in baking dish.
- Coat with a layer of sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella style shreds. Sprinkle with grated parmesan/romano cheese.
- Continue frying coated eggplant slices in pan and add layers to baking pan, covering with sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Add additional sauce if desired.
- Note: If the eggplant is large, you may need to soak in saltwater for a few minutes, then drain on paper towels before coating with egg and breadcrumbs.